Saturday, November 2, 2019

Afternoon Hike

Well the plan is to hike to the “mammal clay lick”.  Dan and  I opted for a shower and quiet afternoon.  Even a little nap considering the day started at 3:45 am.    Well according to fellow travelers it was a great success. The birders spotted a toucan and others spotted several animals and more monkeys.  Apparently the group split and 1/2 left early than the others. The early group got the pleasure of first hand witnessing one snake eating a Rosa boa snake while the guide was within a small distance videotaping with her phone. Too bad we missed it.  At the lodge we did see a cootie walk by the dining room.   The cap off of our last day was a night hike. We went on one night hike and I had really no desire to see any animals up close at night. Apparently a two toed sloth and another snake sighting were the highlights.  Not really sorry I missed.

To summarize our impressions.  The southern access to the basin is actually in the Tambopata reserve. No where near the Amazon River.   The lodge is great if you love the outdoors and don’t mind sleeping with bugs since rooms were open to the lodge grounds. Anything can come into your room.  One night I went to the bathroom and had a cicada land on me before I could get back under the mosquito netting. Also probably not recommended for anyone with claustrophobia.  The upside is the food was better and always a dessert.  There are a lot more animals and the area is drier at least when we were there.   You choose call if you have any questions.

No comments:

Post a Comment