Today we head into the Amazon but decided since we have over 90 minutes until we are met we would go for a walk. The hotel is 2 blocks from the river and it looks like a craft market is nearby. Off we go. The first thing we notice is there is a plethora of security and police that walk the streets It is a good thing it helps to cross the streets with all the motokarts. So why 6 minutes of concern. 3/4 of the way back to the hotel Dan feels his front pocket and says his wallet is missing. Deja vu.
We get back to the hotel and I suggest start a systemic look. Went through all of today’s pants pockets and then yesterday’s pants. It is easy when you only have 2 pair. Rearranged a few things in the suitcase. I suggested look in backpack. Of course Dan says I never put it there. Well in the 4th pocket after removing everything from the other 3 there on top is the wallet. It was a crazy 6 minutes and I was ready to call the bank and credit card company but all is good.
We check out and wait the 30 minutes for the shuttle. A nice big van and a guide that speaks great English. We get all the paperwork completed and head to the boat. It will be a 50 min ride up into the Amazon and the lodge. This lodge comes with a pool, bar and air conditioning. Unfortunately internet is only available in the main reception area.
First impressions the river is amazingly wide. I guess I really wasn’t expecting that. I want to say it is 4-5 times wider than the Seine in France. Lots of debris in the water, old logs some plants and of course some boat traffic not a lot and the traffic is usually small boats. Box lunch on board and we arrive at the lodge
First impression is it is amazingly well kept lots of cottages scattered about and a main building that has reception a gift shop dining hall and a living room area. We are told dining times and the plan is to meet for a hike in 30 minutes. So off to our cabin and unpack clothes. We are only going to be here for 3 nights so I didn’t pack too much.
We are off with Orlando who will be our guide for 2 days. The light walk around the grounds takes 90 minutes. Up and down steps through the underbrush slipping in mud. At the end I ask myself what have I gotten myself into and how am I going to last another 3 days. After the hike we go to the pool. There is a group with a tour out of Salt Lake. 30 people and even a lady from Oceanside and her daughter. They have been in Peru for 10 days or so and will head back tomorrow.
The lodge runs a 3,4 or 5 day trip. It is a fixed program and they just start your group when you make the reservation. There is one other person in our group and she is traveling alone from the UK and is an accountant. Looks to be mid 30’s or so. Dinner will be buffet and supposedly the food is okay
I will try and post some photos but since the internet is not the fastest we shall see
No comments:
Post a Comment